Super Straford's blog

The place to be when you want to learn

Mark Wilson is coming to Carey!

on May 25, 2019

Next week, the Year 5s will be lucky enough to have Mark Wilson, a talented author and illustrator, visiting them as part of the Carey Celebrates Literature Festival.

Mark is best known for his picture story books about war, animals, convict children and extinct animals.

In preparation for this event, the Year 5 students have been  exploring Mark’s work and websites about him.

In the comment section, leave a response that addresses these points:

– Something new you learnt about Mark Wilson from exploring the websites.

– A question you’d like to ask Mark at the literature festival.

20 Responses to “Mark Wilson is coming to Carey!”

1. Hunter says:

Hi Miss Davidson,
    Something new that I have learned about Mark Wilson is that he has worked a variety of jobs including being a stable hand and milkman! At the literature festival, I would like to ask him how and why he got into illustration. His books are very detailed and the art in them is very skillfully done.
    Hunter

2. joannacbgs says:

Hi,
    I learnt that Mark Wilson has had 10 jobs before becoming an author! He worked as a soldier, musician, teacher, magazine designer, map-maker, milkman, baker’s assistant, petrol jockey, stable hand and wildlife rescuer! I think that being a soldier affected how he illustrated his war stories, and gave them a real touch. Being a wildlife rescuer helped him to write about animals, that he felt he had a deep connection with.
    He has printed out 17 books, in 9 different languages!
    Mark Wilson, what was your dream job as a child?
    From,
    Joanna.

3. matildacbgs says:

Hi guys,
    I learnt lots of new and interesting things about Mark Wilson. He has done over 10 different jobs and has printed his books in over 17 languages. Right now he is living in Frankston with Ros, his wife and with 2 dogs.
    He said he ‘always loves drawing different things everyday and everywhere’
    If I had a question to ask Mark Wilson I would ask him what inspired him to draw?
    Do you like Mark Wilson’s Books?
    Matilda

4. Zara says:

I have learnt a lot by reading these interviews such as Mark Wilson’s father was an air pilot and he moved all around Australia and went to eight different schools and finally they settled down in the Blue Mountains. I found that very interesting! Mark Wilson has also had a lot of different careers and jobs such as, bakers assistant, teacher, soldier, musician and many others. Overall I am super excited to meet Mark Wilson and I hope I learn even more about him.
    Zara 5S
    What is your favourite book of Mark Wilson’s and why. (Mine are, Migloo, Digger, and The Last Tree.)

5. Zac says:

I learned that Mark Willson had lots of jobs like a milk man and a soldier
    If i could ask him a question i would ask “What inspired you to be a author

Zac

6. charliecbgs5 says:

Something new that I learnt about Mark Wilson is that he has seventeen books published in nine different languages. I would like to ask Mark Wilson if someone taught him how to illustrate pictures that look like photos.

7. Ned says:

Some of the new things I learnt about Michael said well that when he was young his dad was an F force officer. Another thing I learned about him was it that when he was young he wanted to be one out of three things the first one was an architect the second one was a pilot and the last one was a artist. Some of the jobs he had before he was an artist were a soldier, musician, teacher, magazine designer, map-maker, milkman, baker’s assistant, petrol jockey, stable hand and wildlife rescuer.

8. flynncbgs says:

I learnt that Mark Wilson is one of the most successful
    authors in Australia. He has 17 print books all over Australia and America and some of his books are in different languages.
    Something I would like to ask Mark Wilson is what do you use to make your pictures so amazing and how do you have such a fine hand to make all of your pictures so perfect.

9. Millie says:

Something that I learned that Mark Wilson did is that he used to work as a soldier and an a stable hand.
    I am so exited to meet him and read more of his books.
    He is a role model for me because I love to draw and write my own story’s and he is an illustrator and author.

10. Keira says:

Something I have learned is Mark Wilson loves music. Before he starts work, he blasts some music to get him going. Also apart from being an author and illustrator, he was also a soldier, musician, teacher, magazine designer, map maker, milkman, baker’s assistant, petrol jockey, stable hand and wildlife rescuer. I find it very interesting that he had so many other jobs. Mark Wilson loved drawing and telling stories since he was a kid. He is an amazing illustrator and I love his work.

11. samhcbgs says:

Hi Mrs. Davidson
    I learned that Mark Wlson had to change schools eight times in 7 years and finally setteld in the blue mountens.
    Mark wanted to be a fighter pilot and a artist but was not good at maths so he became a author and a illastrator. Also I Think Mark writes war books because he had to move a lot and the sadness is still there.

Why did you become a author and a illastrator.

sam

12. jackcbgs says:

Hello Everyone,
    Mark Wilson said that the type of story never influences his choice of materials. In every book he uses a pencil to house paint. He also derwents, ink sand, dirt and feathers. But lots of his pencil drawings go straight into the books.

Jack

13. Grace says:

I am so excited to meet Mark Willson at our Literature Festival. I can’t believe that he had so many jobs! There was Petrol Jockey, Stable Hand, Wildlife Rescure, Milkman, Soldier, Musician, Teacher, Map Maker and Magazine Designer!

He mostly writes stories about saving wildlife, War and Australian History. His pictures are so detailed and tell a story just in the pictures.

When Mark Wilson comes I wouls like to ask him ‘How did you have enough time to fit all of your previous jobs in?’ I now know so much about Mark Wilson and his books. One thing I found very interesting was how many jobs he already had.

Who is your favourite author?

Grace

14. Ruby says:

Hi Mis Davidson,
    Mark Wilson is an amazing author/illustrator he has produced seventeen books completely independently, in nine languages. I find his artwork and descriptive writing outstanding he can do fabulous books. He won 5 royal Zoological Society Awards for children’s literature, 11 CBCA Children’s Book Awards, 3 Wilderness Society Picture book Awards and was shortlisted in the 3rd C.J. Picture Book Awards International. He is an inspiration!! If you want to be inspired read some of Mark Wilsons books.What inspired you?
    Ruby

15. massimocbgs says:

Mark Wilson went to 8 different schools when he was a kid. So he went to different places every time. He wanted to be an artist. A question I want to ask him is how old is Mark Wilson.

16. Christian says:

Mark Wilson is one of Australia’s most successful author/ illustrator.
    He is a multiple award winning author/ illustrator with 17 books in print and 9 books in different languages. He has a passion for Australian history and the environment. Do be specific endangered animals. His dad was a air-forcer and he found him self on lots of places in Australia.
    He from state to state but 8 schools later he finally found him self settled in the blue mountains near Springwood.

17. isobelcbgs says:

Hello Mis Davidson,

Mark Wilson
    Author, Illustrator

The things I find interesting about Mark Wilson
    He spent his childhood moving to different several places around Australia. Later his family finally settled in the Blue Mountains near Springwood after he had gone to eight schools.

learnt that he has worked as a soldier, musician, teacher, magazine designer, map-maker, milkman, baker’s assistant, petrol jockey, stable hand and wildlife rescuer.

Mark Wilson is confidence a really into his writing and drawing.

Whats your favourite part about drowning?

Isobel

18. Christian says:

A question l have for Mark Wilson is “how do you get good at reading and not suck at it.

19. Will says:

Hi I have learnt a lot about mark Willson some of his past jobs were milk man and map maker and a teacher.
    Have you read a mark Willson book
    From will

20. Claire says:

Something I have learn’t about Mark Wilson is that he gets inspiration from photos, newspapers and something somebody said. Another thing is that Mark Wilson is that he had several jobs before he started writing and illustrations such as a soldier, a musician, a teacher, a magazine designer, a mapmaker, a milkman, a baker’s assistant, a petrol jockey, a stable hand and a wildlife rescuer. Finally, I learnt that Mark Wilson didn’t just want to be a writer and illustrator when he was younger.